Don’t Burn the Roast! Holiday Cooking Safety Tips from Liberty Gas
Happy Holidays from the jolly team here at Liberty Gas!
Millions of people around the world gather for a wonderful meal with their loved ones during the holiday season. To ensure a safe time with your family and friends, we would like to take a moment to remind our valued propane clients the importance of kitchen safety.
Did you know cooking is the number one cause of home fires? Well, it is!
With that said – avoid channeling your inner Clark Griswold and prevent a potential disaster that wipes out the Christmas tree or – gasp – all the presents!
Here are some helpful tips the American Red Cross recommends for fire safety:
- Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen, on each level of your home, near sleeping areas, and inside and outside bedrooms if you sleep with doors closed. Use the test button to check it each month. Replace all batteries at least once a year if your smoke alarm requires it.
- Don’t wear loose clothing or sleeves that dangle while cooking.
- If you are frying, grilling or broiling food, never leave it unattended – stay in the kitchen. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- If you’re simmering, baking, roasting or broiling food, check it regularly.
- Use a timer to remind yourself that the stove or oven is on.
- Keep kids and pets away from the cooking area. Make them stay at least three feet away from the stove.
- Keep anything that can catch fire – pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, towels or curtains – away from your stove, oven or any other appliance in the kitchen that generates heat.
- Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup.
- Always check the kitchen before going to bed or leaving the home to make sure all stoves, ovens, and small appliances are turned off.
- Consider purchasing a fire extinguisher to keep in your kitchen. Contact your local fire department to take training on the proper use of extinguishers.
If Liberty Gas can do anything to ensure a happier holiday for you and your family, please reach out to us at 631.288.0902.